Complete the following exercises, in 2-4 sentences each and include a paragraph explaining how you can apply what you’ve learned in this chapter to your job.
1. Write a short note on the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986.
2. What is workers’ compensation? Mention some common features that all states’ workers’ compensation laws share.
3. Describe some measures that firms have taken to gain tighter management control over the cost of health care.
4. Discuss some of the trends that are helping to shape the future in health-care coverage.
5. Write a short note on the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
6. Briefly explain the provisions of the Pension Protection Act (PPA) of 2006.
7. Discuss the four approaches that are widely used to express the costs of employee benefits and services.
8. What is the broad objective of the design of compensation programs?
9. Who typically manages contributions to pension funds?
10. Explain the purpose of the unemployment insurance system.
11. Why do many companies offer domestic-partner benefits, regardless of an employee’s sexual orientation and marital status?
12. What are some of the requirements for a worker to receive unemployment benefits?
13. Briefly discuss some of the reasons why employee benefits have grown in the recent years.
Submit your answers on a Microsoft® Word document.