Please address the following topic in your primary post. Once you have submitted your primary post, you may reply to any student’s post on any topic to complete the assignment requirements:
Abbott’s Mask Mandate
Read the article linked below (by Dale Carpenter, as published in The Houston Chronicle) and address all of the prompts below (at a minimum) in your primary post:
- Summarize the article. Identify the central argument(s) and the evidence used to support it/them.
- Identify how this issue relates to what you have learned from the course textbook. Be specific, citing a relevant passage from Unit 1 (ch. 1-6) and page from the book using MLA in-text citation format.
- Summarize and evaluate the conclusion. Is it logically consistent or inconsistent with the evidence provided in the article? Is it consistent with what you learned in the textbook?
- What have other scholars said about the issue? How are their findings consistent/inconsistent with those in the article?
- Overall, what are your thoughts about the central argument, evidence, and conclusion presented and why?
You will not be able to see the work of other students until you have submitted your original posting. You will not be able to edit your post after you submit it.
- Post a primary response (200 words) and reply (100 words) to another student by due dates noted in the course calendar. No credit provided for just a primary post, if you submit both your posts on the reply post due date, or do not meet the minimum word count requirement.
- Post a substantive response: evaluate the ideas and arguments presented by another student. Avoid using the phrase “I like how you…”. Focus on developing concepts.
- This is not primarily an exercise in expressing opinions. The best responses will support all key arguments, facts, assertions and claims with research in both posts.
- You must identify all additional sources with both MLA in-text (parenthetical) citations and references (in a Works Cited section at the end of your posting).
- The minimum writing requirement must be met and exceeded using your own words (do not include cited information in your word count).
- Don’t forget to include your word count!
Submissions are checked for plagiarism using SafeAssign. Plagiarized submissions will result in an automatic zero for the course.