As you work to become an educator, it is important to think about and be able to explain how you will respect students with differing personal backgrounds and various skills, abilities, perspectives, talents, and interests. It is equally important to continue improving your teaching practice to better meet the needs of all your students.
Watch the video “Cultural Competence: What Does It Mean for Educators?” for inspiration and ideas. After watching the video, create your own 3-5 minute video in which you address the following questions:
- 1. What does it mean to be a culturally competent educator? Include specific terms from your Topic 1 assignment, “Social Justice Key Terminology.”
- 2. Where do you see yourself on the cultural competency continuum chart and why? Support your placement on the continuum chart with your position regarding specific controversial, culturally-based issues that affect K-12 education.
- 3. What will it take for you to get to the next step or to deepen your cultural competence, including understanding your own personal bias, teaching in a diverse classroom, and implementing strategies for ensuring a safe and supportive classroom for all students?
- 4. What are some specific research and readings, tools, resources, or training you might use to further your cultural competency as an educator?
- 5. What will it look like to have cultural inclusivity in your future classroom?
- 6. How will you ensure you are respecting students as individuals with differing personal backgrounds and various skills, abilities, perspectives, talents, and interests that do not align to your spiritual beliefs and moral values?
Use an online video platform such as Loom, YouTube, or Vimeo to upload your completed video. Ensure that others can access and view your linked video prior to submitting to the LMS.
Review the Professional Dispositions of Learners located on the College of Education website before completing this assignment to show professionalism in your speech and appearance.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.