– 1.5-2 pages.
– This section must include the following, at a minimum:
- You should research and specifically define the Uses and Gratifications approach.
- What’s its history?
- What’s it based upon?
- List and define the main gratifications suggested by the theory (sometimes called categories, motives, or needs) and why we use a particular medium for a specific purpose?
You must use a minimum of two (3) sources they MUST be properly cited, both in-text and in works cited page at the end of your paper. This can be from an academic journal.
Part 2: Your daily journal of how you use mass media
– Minimum 5-6 times per day. Must be shown in a table format with a clear notation of the day of the week and the date.
– Keep a DAILY JOURNAL FOR SIX (6) DAYS to track ALL your media use including the amount of time spent as well as a brief description of what medium, how you used it, and how it applied to the U&G model. Don’t forget to list all media consumption including:
- newspapers or online news websites or mobile apps
- movies, films
- radio (includes in the car), podcasts, music
- television viewing, broadcast or cable
- digital entertainment including any non-single player video games, streaming media, etc.
- advertising, strategic communication/marketing materials, public relations materials
- internet: web or social media – via computer or mobile app
- mobile apps where you are communicating with more than one other person
- on social media and any non-single player video games.
Part 3: Your day without media
– 2-4 page; written as a personal narrative-style essay
– Then you will spend the last day without using or consuming ANY form of media or machine-assisted communication tools, including the phone (unless there is an emergency). You will write a narrative story detailing your activities. You should also note how you felt during this day, for example, did you feel “free and unplugged” or did you feel various levels of anxiety? Then go into detail about your day without media and about your experience and the importance of media in your life.
Part 4: How do you use your media
– 2 pages.
– Define how you use a specific medium or media for a specific gratification. For example: talk about the television shows you watch and how it fits into the Diversion aspect of uses and gratification theory. Why do you watch specific shows? Or, why do you listen to certain genres of music? Read certain books?
Part 5: How do you spend money on your media
– 1 page for colorful graph or chart
– Determine your monthly costs for what you spend on any media, including your phone. Prepare a graphical chart of the monthly cost of each medium that you use, including cell phone, internet service provider, movie rentals, cable or satellite TV charges, magazines, newspapers, satellite radio, video subscriptions, etc.