You began preparing for this assignment in Week One by reviewing the required elements and reflecting on the Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 content. There are three steps to completing this written assignment. Each step should be a separate, identifiable section of your paper. Start with an introductory paragraph that describes what you will be covering in your paper and end with a concluding paragraph that summarizes the information you have provided. Use the Week 2 Assignment template as a guide for formatting. Use Chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the textbook and other relevant resources.
- Describe the impact of culture on communication.
- Identify strategies you can use to demonstrate cultural sensitivity when working in human services settings. Be sure to use examples to help make your points.
- Assess your own other-orientation, as described in the textbook, as one measure of self-awareness.
- Identify personal communication strengths and growth.
- Describe your strengths with regard to this perspective.
- Identify areas in which you would like to improve.
- Discuss how having a strong other-orientation might be helpful for interpersonal communication in human services.
- Refer to Chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the textbook and other relevant resources.
- Explain how both culture and self-awareness may be critical in interpersonal communication in human services.
- Identify two to three examples of effective verbal and non-verbal communication techniques that can be used to demonstrate self-awareness and culture in human service settings.
Your Final Paper:
- Must be five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Review the grading rubric and remember that 30% of your grade is based on your application of course material content and subject knowledge in Discussions, 40% is based on your ability to think critically and present original ideas in Assignments, and 30% is based on your ability to demonstrate your application of the core concepts of communication and apply them to a human services scenario in the Final Project.
1. DeVito, J.A. (2016). The interpersonal communication book (14th ed.). Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu
- Chapter 4: Verbal Messages (pp. 81-108)
- Chapter 5: Nonverbal Messages (pp. 109-146)
1. Matsumoto, D., & Hwang, H. C. (2016). The cultural bases of nonverbal communication. In APA handbook of nonverbal communication. (pp. 77–101). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. https://doi-org.proxy-library.ashford.edu/10.1037/14669-004
- The full-text version of this article is available through Ashford University’s Proquest database This article provides information about nonverbal communication that will assist you in your assignment and discussions this week.
1. Quarry, P. & Ash, E. (Writers & Producers). (1998). People skills: Communicating without words.
- This video can be accessed through the Films On Demand database in the Ashford University Library.
- This video presents ways in which people communicate without words and will be used as part of the second discussion forum.
2. Understanding Body Language [Video file]. (2001). Retrieved June 28, 2019, from https://digital.films.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=100753&xtid=49912
- Body language can tell us about feelings, motivations, and attitudes. This video teaches viewers that understanding body language can help improve their communication. Topics covered in this program include being aware of your own body language; learning to read others’ body language; body language for presentations; and body language for selling, conflict, and becoming more expressive. Viewable/printable educational materials are available online. (14 minutes)
- The full-length version of this video is available through Ashford University Library’s Films on Demand database. This video provides information about body language that will assist you in your assignment and discussions this week.
1. Bernstein, R. (2017, March 28). 7 cultural differences in nonverbal communication (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from https://online.pointpark.edu/business/cultural-differences-in-nonverbal-communication/
- This web page provides information about the use of nonverbal communication that will assist you in your assignment and discussions this week.