Constructing the Paper
The first step in this process is to select a topic. Look back at what we have studied in the course, which concepts were the most interesting to you? What do you want to learn more about? What do you think others should know more about? What issues touch your life?
Once you have chosen your topic begin researching your topic to find additional articles that help to extend the knowledge presented in the course (these must be new sources) about your chosen topic. You should find at least four additional sources. Sources should be from scholarly databases. Always make sure to check the validity of your sources. Here are some suggestions of places to look:
- Health Communication
- Journal of Health Communication
- Communication Monographs
- Centers for Disease Control
- World Health Organization
- National Institutes of Health
You are not limited to these sources, but this gives you a place to start. From your research put together a report on your findings. This project is meant to extend concepts so you want to ensure that the information you are reporting has not already been reported in the text or extends findings in the book. We are looking to you to teach us more about the innovations/new knowledge in your chosen topic areas. Write up your report.
Your report should be 4 – 5 pages and follow these three parts:
- Part 1: What is your chosen topic? Why did you choose this topic? (½ – 1 page)
- Part 2: Provide a brief summary of the information provided in the course about this topic (½ – 1 page)
- Part 3(Most important part!): Report your research findings on this topic. Discuss each findings (four total) and the importance of each (2 – 3 pages)
In addition to the three parts this report should follow standard essay format including an introduction and conclusion. Sources should be cited using APA style. Other aspects of the paper do not need to be APA style i.e. do not need to include a title page or abstract. You may include information from articles presented in the course, but you MUST extend the course concept using four research articles you find on your own.
- Four to five pages, double-spaced
- In essay form with an overall thesis and fully developed paragraphs
- Should have all comments backed up by concrete examples supported by the sources
- Should use class specific terms
- Reference page (using APA style) – including the book, and other sources as appropriate
- In general, the following elements of the paper will be evaluated:
- Evidence of thoughtful analysis
- Connection to course concepts
- Clear organization of the paper
- Absence of spelling and grammatical errors
- Clear citation of sources
In addition to the paper students will put together a creative element used to train either patients or providers on the topic. In doing this students should use their research findings to construct the training piece. This can be accomplished in many ways—there is a lot of latitude here. Below are a few examples of ideas, you are not limited to these examples. Feel free to create any type of training element that is manageable for you.
- Patient-provider role play in which the course concept is key to the interaction, in addition to the role play you will need to provide a discussion guide (written or video)
- Training tip sheet on patient-provider topic
This piece will be graded on: